Monday, October 17, 2011
Jennifer Siebel Newsom, Filmmaker
Plus additional guests to be announced.
6:30 pm reception
7:30 pm screening
With ringing testimony and damning statistics, filmmaker Jennifer Siebel Newsom interrogates the skewed image of women in media, from reality television to corporate and presidential politics. Drawing from her own experience as evidence, Newsom and colleagues analyze how male-dominated media is manipulating another generation with hyper-sexualized, degrading images of women in programming and commercials. The film weaves stories from teenagers with piercing comments from some of this country’s most accomplished professionals, including Dr. Condoleezza Rice, Katie Couric, Gloria Steinem, Rachel Maddow, and Nancy Pelosi. A major success at the Sundance Film Festival, Miss Representation will inspire mediastes, especially the sensible and realistic call-to-action that ends the film.
This event is for Members-Only. Please make reservations below.
Other Events in the Series
- Debbie Reynolds: The Exhibit: All New Collection of Hollywood Treasures
- An Evening with American Dad!
- An Evening with The League
- An Evening with Florence Henderson: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady & Beyond
- A Better Life: the Music and the Message
- Susan Orlean Presents Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend
- Our America with Lisa Ling: The Invisible Wounds of War
- Lucy in London
- The Donna Reed Show Reunion
- Tropicana Nights: A Salute to the Music of I Love Lucy with Special Guests Lucie Arnaz & Desi Arnaz, Jr.