Mind Over Media: Are You More Powerful than Propaganda?
Monday, May 21, 2012
Michael Hirschorn, Contributing Editor, The Atlantic Monthly
Robert Shrum, Speechwriter and Political Consultant, Senior Fellow at New York University's Wagner Graduate School of Public Service
Renee Hobbs, Media Literacy Expert, Professor and Founding Director of the Harrington School of Communication and Media at the University of Rhode Island
Dr. Steven Luckert, Curator of the Museum’s Permanent Exhibition and of State of Deception: The Power of Nazi Propaganda
Introduction: Elissa Schein, US Holocaust Memorial Museum
Moderator: Marvin Kalb, Journalist; Founding Director, The Shorenstein Center at Harvard and Edward R. Murrow Professor Emeritus of Press and Public Policy
How did the Nazis rise to power in one of the most highly educated nations in the world and in a democracy with a free press? They coupled sophisticated propaganda with advances in communication technology, enabling their powerful ideas to reach millions. Today’s technology knows far fewer boundaries. The onslaught of unfiltered messages confronting each of us daily via social media and the Web challenges us to be critical consumers of information.
Join us for an election-year discussion with distinguished journalists, speechwriters, and other newsmakers that explores what propaganda is, when we are most susceptible to it, and how we can best recognize and respond to biased information today.
Copresented with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
This event is part of the Robert M. Batscha University Seminar Series.
Join the Conversation! We will LIVE tweet this event. Follow @paleycenter and use #PaleyLiveNY to join in. Your tweet will be seen in the widget we add to this page on the day of the event.
Photo caption and credit:
A 1936 poster depicting a crowd surrounding a radio, entitled “All of Germany Listens to the Führer with the People’s Radio.” Bundesarchiv, Koblenz, Plak 003.022.025
Join The Conversation
Other Events in the Series
- Hey, Hey, Hey … It’s Bill Cosby
- Project Runway All Stars
- IFC’s Portlandia: A Conversation with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
- Remembering Master Storyteller, Jean Shepherd: With Jerry Seinfeld
- Oscar Hammerstein II—Out of My Dreams
- Cougar Town Viewing Party
- Justice League: Doom
- Meet the Filmmakers Nominated for the Academy Award, Documentary Short
- Who Do You Think You Are?
- DocuDay New York 2012
- Academy Awards Viewing Party Featuring Live Commentary by A.O. Scott & David Carr of The New York Times
- PaleyFest Community Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Greendale Pep Rally from New York Comic Con
- PaleyFest Castle Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Scavenger Hunt and Trivia from New York Comic Con
- A Better Life
- Mad Men Season Premiere Viewing Party
- Twentieth Anniversary of The Big Show: Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick Together Again
- Doctor Who: How It All Began—An Evening with Waris Hussein
- NYC 22, New Prime-Time Drama
- A Cavalcade of Coward
- An Evening with Estela Bravo: Filmmaker of Fidel: The Untold Story and Anecdotes about Fidel
- American Masters: Johnny Carson: King of Late Night
- 2012 Tony Awards Film Series
- She's Making News: Katie Couric
- Madame Butterfly: Screening and Conversation
- She's Making News: Gayle King
- She's Making News: Maria Bartiromo
- An Evening With Christopher Plummer
- Alan Alda’s Burning Question: What Is a Flame?
- Jersey Shore Shark Attack: A Paley Center & Syfy Viewing Party
- She's Making News: Paula Zahn
- Spider-Man Week NYC: Peter Parker at the Paley Center
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Resurrection of the Daleks
- She's Making News: Soledad O’Brien
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Death to the Daleks
- Musicals on Television: An Afternoon with Sheldon Harnick
- Goodyear Television Playhouse: The Trip to Bountiful
- From Homicide to Copper: Levinson/Fontana in Conversation
- Studio One: The Traveling Lady
- Playhouse 90: Old Man
- American Playhouse: Story of a Marriage, Part 1: “Courtship"