Remembering Master Storyteller, Jean Shepherd: With Jerry Seinfeld
Monday, January 23, 2012
Marshall McLuhan hailed Jean Shepherd as the “first radio novelist,” but Shep was much more, notably a jazz soloist improvising irreverently on his life and times. Broadcasting on WOR from 1956 to '77, Shepherd enthralled late-night listeners on the east coast his Scheherazade-like tales with tales, all recited with exquisite detail without a script. His intimate and hilarious remembrances were also adapted into stories for Playboy, shows for public television, and the iconic A Christmas Story. One master comedian who follows in his observational tradition, Jerry Seinfeld, will talk about how Shepherd influenced his work. Friends and colleagues will also discuss how Shepherd practically invented talk radio.
Presented in association with Highlander Pictures
We are grateful for the assistance of the following who helped make this event possible: Irwin Zwilling, Jane Coleman, Fred Barzyk, Chelmsford Telemedia, Olivia Tappan, and Eugene Bergmann.
This event is part of the Robert M. Batscha University Seminar Series.
Other Events in the Series
- Hey, Hey, Hey … It’s Bill Cosby
- Project Runway All Stars
- IFC’s Portlandia: A Conversation with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
- Oscar Hammerstein II—Out of My Dreams
- Cougar Town Viewing Party
- Justice League: Doom
- Meet the Filmmakers Nominated for the Academy Award, Documentary Short
- Who Do You Think You Are?
- DocuDay New York 2012
- Academy Awards Viewing Party Featuring Live Commentary by A.O. Scott & David Carr of The New York Times
- PaleyFest Community Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Greendale Pep Rally from New York Comic Con
- PaleyFest Castle Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Scavenger Hunt and Trivia from New York Comic Con
- A Better Life
- Mad Men Season Premiere Viewing Party
- Twentieth Anniversary of The Big Show: Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick Together Again
- Doctor Who: How It All Began—An Evening with Waris Hussein
- NYC 22, New Prime-Time Drama
- A Cavalcade of Coward
- An Evening with Estela Bravo: Filmmaker of Fidel: The Untold Story and Anecdotes about Fidel
- American Masters: Johnny Carson: King of Late Night
- 2012 Tony Awards Film Series
- She's Making News: Katie Couric
- Madame Butterfly: Screening and Conversation
- Mind Over Media: Are You More Powerful than Propaganda?
- She's Making News: Gayle King
- She's Making News: Maria Bartiromo
- An Evening With Christopher Plummer
- Alan Alda’s Burning Question: What Is a Flame?
- Jersey Shore Shark Attack: A Paley Center & Syfy Viewing Party
- She's Making News: Paula Zahn
- Spider-Man Week NYC: Peter Parker at the Paley Center
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Resurrection of the Daleks
- She's Making News: Soledad O’Brien
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Death to the Daleks
- Musicals on Television: An Afternoon with Sheldon Harnick
- Goodyear Television Playhouse: The Trip to Bountiful
- From Homicide to Copper: Levinson/Fontana in Conversation
- Studio One: The Traveling Lady
- Playhouse 90: Old Man
- American Playhouse: Story of a Marriage, Part 1: “Courtship"