Digitally Remastered Doctor Who Screenings in NY: Doctor Who: The Movie
Saturday, August 31, 2013
Travel with us through time and space as The Paley Center for Media and BBC Home Entertainment present classic Doctor Who screenings. These screenings will feature the digitally remastered episodes in the best way: on the big screen, with big sound, and the Doctor Who community.
FREE for Paley Center Members
Included with general admission ($10 for adults; $8 for students and senior citizens; $5 for children under fourteen)
Become a Member! Join us online or contact Membership at 212.621.6780.
Doctor Who: The Movie
(1996; 86 minutes)
The Doctor is returning home to Gallifrey with the remains of his archnemesis, the Master. Forced off course, the TARDIS arrives in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1999, where the Doctor is critically wounded in a gangland gun battle. At the local hospital, Dr. Grace Holloway (Daphne Ashbrook) fights—and fails—to save his life. Later, in the morgue, the Doctor wakes up a new man (Paul McGann). But he is not the only one—the Master has also found himself a new body (Eric Roberts). As the clock counts down to the start of the new millennium, can the Doctor stop his oldest enemy from destroying all life on Earth?
This film, featuring McGann in his only on-screen appearance as the Doctor, was a UK/US coproduction that revived the character after an absence of almost seven years. It was intended as a backdoor pilot for a new Doctor Who series.
Our thanks to BBC Home Entertainment for making this series of Doctor Who screenings possible.
Other Events in the Series
- Rolling Stones: 50
- Doc U: Global Impact – Docs as Tools of Change
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: An Unearthly Child
- The Invisible War
- Songs of America with Art Garfunkel and Charles Grodin
- LEGO Batman: The Movie - DC Superheroes Unite
- Shall We Overcome? Investigation Discovery Explores Civil Rights Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
- She’s Making Media: Julianna Margulies
- Dream of . . . An Evening with Fred Armisen
- DocuDay New York 2013: See the Academy Award–Nominated Docs
- Hey Dummies: An Evening with the 30 Rock Writers
- Words On Dance: Edward Villella
- The Stages of Edward Albee: NY Premiere of the New Documentary
- Digitally Remastered Doctor Who Screenings: The Ark in Space
- She's Making Media: Jody Williams—Activism from Landmines to Killer Robots
- Mad-ness Returns to the Paley Center
- Docu-Jam 2013
- Paley Center & the Peabodys: Finding Excellence in Media
- The Paley Center Salutes Broadway
- PALEY CENTER NY LOVE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT
- She's Making Media: Anna Deavere Smith
- Follow This: Kevin Bacon on Being Ryan Hardy
- Digitally Remastered Doctor Who Screenings: The Caves of Androzani
- Screenings: Musicals on Television