What are the program hours for The Peter Roth Internship?
The inaugural Peter Roth Internship program runs from November 4, 2021, through July 14, 2022 for a total of 148 program hours.
The breakdown is as follows: From November 4, 2021, through June 6, 2022
- Program events will be conducted 2 Thursdays per month from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm ET for a total of 28 hours (4 hours/month for 7 months) – unless time is shifted to allow participation in a Paley program that is in the early morning, evening, or on the weekend.
From June 7, 2022, through July 14, 2022
- Program will be conducted Tuesday through Thursday from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm ET for a total of 120 hours (20 hours/week for 6 weeks) – unless time is shifted to allow participation in a Paley program that is in the early morning, evening, or on the weekend.
Unless determined otherwise by guidelines from the CDC and federal, state, and local authorities in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship is in-person in New York. However, exceptions will be made for a virtual option for students attending school on campus during November 4, 2021 to June 6, 2022. On June 7, 2022, all interns are required to be in-person in New York until July 14, 2022.
Who is eligible to apply to The Peter Roth Internship Program?
- Students from diverse backgrounds and underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Undergraduate students who are rising juniors and seniors and currently enrolled in a college degree program at an accredited college/university with a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Interns must confirm they can commit to the timeline of the internship from November 2021 to July 2022.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States. (If offered a position, the Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986 requires you to furnish proof of your employment eligibility and identity before you can begin work.)
What criteria will be used to select candidates?
Selection as a Peter Roth Intern is based on a combination of the following criteria:
- A strong interest in pursuing a career in television.
- A talented, enthusiastic and highly motivated individual who demonstrates the following:
- Evidence of exemplary academic achievement and exceptional leadership skills.
- Outstanding verbal communication and superior writing skills.
- Evidence of the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- A positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal skills.
- An ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while being extremely organized and detail-oriented.
- Evidence of their creativity and resourcefulness with strong problem-solving skills.
- Junior or senior level year of study by September 2021.
- GPA of 3.2 or higher
Will I be paid as part of The Peter Roth Internship Program?
Yes, interns will be paid $15 per hour.
What documents will I need to submit for The Peter Roth Internship Program?
For a complete application, students will need to provide their:
- Resume and cover letter
- Answers to the 4 essay questions
- 2 letters of recommendation from either a professor, a school advisor, or a current/former supervisor who can speak about your education work or background, character or professional competence, and interest in the entertainment, media and television field (please provide contact information such as email address and phone number for references to be reached for follow-up)
- 1 writing sample for collegiate coursework (at most 4 pages) related to media and/or the media industry are encouraged, but not required
- Transcript (while an unofficial transcript is acceptable for the initial application process, all Finalists will be required to submit an official school transcript. Finalists only will be reimbursed if there is a cost from the school to obtain an official transcript)
What is the timeline for applying and interviewing for The Peter Roth Internship Program?
The application will open on April 30, 2021 and close on July 8, 2021 at 5:00 pm ET
- Semi-finalists will be notified by July 30, 2021.
- Semi-finalist interviews will be scheduled for mid-late August 2021.
- Finalists will be selected and internship offers will be made in mid-September 2021.
How will The Peter Roth Internship Program be impacted by COVID-19 social distancing/stay at home orders?
The Peter Roth Internship Program will be virtual until it is safe and advisable to be back in person.
Will housing be provided?
Interns are responsible for their own housing as the Paley Center is unable to provide housing accommodations.
© 2021 THE PALEY CENTER FOR MEDIA ‣ Background image by Freepik.com