New York Premiere
American Masters: Johnny Carson: King of Late Night
Thursday, May 10, 2012
Peter Jones, Writer/Director/Producer
Susan Lacy, Executive Producer/Series Creator, American Masters
He was seen by more people than anyone else in American history—a fixture of our national life. In exploring the career and life of arguably the biggest star television ever produced, American Masters had the estate’s first-time cooperation and access to Johnny Carson’s greatest legacy: all existing episodes of The Tonight Show from 1962–1992. Filmmaker Peter Jones deftly examines the complexities and contradictions of the man who defined late night television and influenced everyone who followed. Original interviews with friends, colleagues, and performers who appeared on, began their careers on, or were influenced by The Tonight Show—including Conan O'Brien, Ray Romano, Don Rickles, Bob Newhart, Angie Dickinson, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Dick Cavett, David Steinberg, Jerry Seinfeld, Ellen DeGeneres, Garry Shandling, Steve Martin, Arsenio Hall, Joan Rivers, and Jimmy Fallon—offer texture and context. 2012 marks the fiftieth anniversary of Carson’s taking over The Tonight Show, as well as the twentieth anniversary of his retirement. American Masters Johnny Carson: King of Late Night premieres nationally Monday, May 14 at 9:00 pm on PBS (check local listings).
Join the Conversation! We will LIVE tweet this event. Follow @paleycenter and use #PaleyLiveNY to join in. Your tweet will be seen in the widget we add to this page on the day of the event.
Join The Conversation
Other Events in the Series
- Hey, Hey, Hey … It’s Bill Cosby
- Project Runway All Stars
- IFC’s Portlandia: A Conversation with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
- Remembering Master Storyteller, Jean Shepherd: With Jerry Seinfeld
- Oscar Hammerstein II—Out of My Dreams
- Cougar Town Viewing Party
- Justice League: Doom
- Meet the Filmmakers Nominated for the Academy Award, Documentary Short
- Who Do You Think You Are?
- DocuDay New York 2012
- Academy Awards Viewing Party Featuring Live Commentary by A.O. Scott & David Carr of The New York Times
- PaleyFest Community Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Greendale Pep Rally from New York Comic Con
- PaleyFest Castle Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Scavenger Hunt and Trivia from New York Comic Con
- A Better Life
- Mad Men Season Premiere Viewing Party
- Twentieth Anniversary of The Big Show: Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick Together Again
- Doctor Who: How It All Began—An Evening with Waris Hussein
- NYC 22, New Prime-Time Drama
- A Cavalcade of Coward
- An Evening with Estela Bravo: Filmmaker of Fidel: The Untold Story and Anecdotes about Fidel
- 2012 Tony Awards Film Series
- She's Making News: Katie Couric
- Madame Butterfly: Screening and Conversation
- Mind Over Media: Are You More Powerful than Propaganda?
- She's Making News: Gayle King
- She's Making News: Maria Bartiromo
- An Evening With Christopher Plummer
- Alan Alda’s Burning Question: What Is a Flame?
- Jersey Shore Shark Attack: A Paley Center & Syfy Viewing Party
- She's Making News: Paula Zahn
- Spider-Man Week NYC: Peter Parker at the Paley Center
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Resurrection of the Daleks
- She's Making News: Soledad O’Brien
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Death to the Daleks
- Musicals on Television: An Afternoon with Sheldon Harnick
- Goodyear Television Playhouse: The Trip to Bountiful
- From Homicide to Copper: Levinson/Fontana in Conversation
- Studio One: The Traveling Lady
- Playhouse 90: Old Man
- American Playhouse: Story of a Marriage, Part 1: “Courtship"