Shall We Overcome? Investigation Discovery Explores Civil Rights Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Henry Schleiff, President & General Manager, Investigation Discovery
Kerry Kennedy, Human Rights Activist
John Seigenthaler, Former RFK Aide and First Amendment Crusader
Carolyn McKinstry, Civil Rights Activist
Keith Beauchamp, Filmmaker, The Injustice Files
Robbie Tolan, Racial Profiling Victim
Moderator: Harry Smith, Correspondent, Rock Center with Brian Williams
In February, Investigation Discovery (ID) weaves a path between civil rights injustices of the past and those of today with two extraordinary brand-new documentaries.
Reflecting on our nation's ongoing pursuit of equal rights, ID Films: March to Justice explores the pivotal victories that led to the passage of the historic Voting Rights Act in 1965 through a unique pilgrimage with three generations of the Kennedy family. This documentary commemorates the march from Selma to Montgomery with riveting first-person recollections from those traveling on the bus, including civil rights luminary Rep. John Lewis, former Robert F. Kennedy aide and First Amendment crusader John Seigenthaler, and civil rights activists Ruby Bridges and Carolyn McKinstry.
Award-winning filmmaker Keith Beauchamp returns to ID with the next installment of The Injustice Files series, for an in-depth look at racial-profiling practices still occurring today, brought to national attention in 2008 with the shooting of Robbie Tolan in Texas and more recently by the killing of an unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin, in Florida.
Join us as we screen highlights of the two films, followed by a conversation with the participants.
Presented with Investigation Discovery
Other Events in the Series
- Rolling Stones: 50
- Doc U: Global Impact – Docs as Tools of Change
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: An Unearthly Child
- The Invisible War
- Songs of America with Art Garfunkel and Charles Grodin
- LEGO Batman: The Movie - DC Superheroes Unite
- She’s Making Media: Julianna Margulies
- Dream of . . . An Evening with Fred Armisen
- DocuDay New York 2013: See the Academy Award–Nominated Docs
- Hey Dummies: An Evening with the 30 Rock Writers
- Words On Dance: Edward Villella
- The Stages of Edward Albee: NY Premiere of the New Documentary
- Digitally Remastered Doctor Who Screenings: The Ark in Space
- She's Making Media: Jody Williams—Activism from Landmines to Killer Robots
- Mad-ness Returns to the Paley Center
- Docu-Jam 2013
- Paley Center & the Peabodys: Finding Excellence in Media
Become a Member
Take advantage of advance ticket sales and discounts.