Words On Dance: Edward Villella
Monday, March 11, 2013
The San Francisco–based Words On Dance interview series returns to New York in this newest collaboration with the Paley Center.
Join us for an evening of conversation and television and film clips as the legendary dancer and artistic director Edward Villella talks about his extraordinary and unique career. In 1957, Villella joined the corps de ballet of Balanchine's New York City Ballet at the age of 21, and weeks later was cast as the star of Jerome Robbins's Afternoon of a Faun—subsequently going on to have unparalleled success in a series of classic Balanchine ballets including Prodigal Son, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Jewels, and Apollo. After retiring from the stage Villella segued into the role of Artistic Director. In 1986, Villella founded the Miami City Ballet, and led it to international success for over twenty-five years. Among his distinguished honors are the 1997 Kennedy Center Honor, and the National Medal of Arts, the 38th annual Capezio Dance Award, and the National Society of Arts & Letters Award for Lifetime Achievement.
The interview will be conducted by his daughter Crista Villella (the ballet mistress of Miami City Ballet) and clips from Mr. Villella's career will be shown, including rare film footage from private collections.
Other Events in the Series
- Rolling Stones: 50
- Doc U: Global Impact – Docs as Tools of Change
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: An Unearthly Child
- The Invisible War
- Songs of America with Art Garfunkel and Charles Grodin
- LEGO Batman: The Movie - DC Superheroes Unite
- Shall We Overcome? Investigation Discovery Explores Civil Rights Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
- She’s Making Media: Julianna Margulies
- Dream of . . . An Evening with Fred Armisen
- DocuDay New York 2013: See the Academy Award–Nominated Docs
- Hey Dummies: An Evening with the 30 Rock Writers
- The Stages of Edward Albee: NY Premiere of the New Documentary
- Digitally Remastered Doctor Who Screenings: The Ark in Space
- She's Making Media: Jody Williams—Activism from Landmines to Killer Robots
- Mad-ness Returns to the Paley Center
- Docu-Jam 2013
- Paley Center & the Peabodys: Finding Excellence in Media
- The Paley Center Salutes Broadway
- PALEY CENTER NY LOVE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT
- She's Making Media: Anna Deavere Smith
- Follow This: Kevin Bacon on Being Ryan Hardy
Become a Member
Take advantage of advance ticket sales and discounts.