Great Debates: Why They Matter & What Is at Stake
Thursday, September 27, 2012
Carole Simpson, 1992 Presidential Debate Moderator
Bill Wheatley, Executive Producer, NBC News
Dr. Meena Bose, Peter S. Kalikow Chair in Presidential Studies at Hofstra University; Director, Hofstra’s Peter S. Kalikow Center for the Study of the American Presidency
Caitlin Thompson, Director, Online Political Coverage, WNYC
Moderator: Pat Mitchell, CEO/President, The Paley Center for Media
Please Note: Barbara Walters, who was scheduled to appear, regrettably will not be on tonight's panel.
Hosted by The Paley Center for Media and the duPont-Columbia Awards
Political debates are unscripted television at its best. This evening will explore the risks and rewards for candidates as well as issues the networks and moderators face before the 2012 debates begin the following week on October 3.
The evening will commence with Carole Simpson discussing her experiences of moderating a presidential debate in 1992. The panel with its diverse perspectives will then take the audience behind-the-scenes of these pivotal live televised events, examining the challenges that networks have in airing these high-stakes contests. The panel will also explore how having new formats, like town meetings, and new technology, such as social media, impacted the process. And the seminal question will be asked: Are the debates still the best way to inform the electorate about where candidates stand on issues?
In association with The Columbia Graduate School of Journalism and the Women’s Media Center
Join the Conversation! We will LIVE tweet this event. Follow @paleycenter and @duPontAwards and use #PaleyLiveNY to join in. Your tweet will be seen in the widget we add to this page on the day of the event.
This event is part of
Other Events in the Series
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Spearhead from Space
- PaleyFest: Fall TV Previews: The CW
- PaleyFest: Fall TV Previews: NBC
- PaleyFest: Fall TV Previews: CBS
- PaleyFest: Fall TV Previews: ABC
- THIRTEEN at 50: Renée Fleming, Judith Jamison, Robert MacNeil, Dick Cavett
- PaleyFest: Fall TV Previews: FOX
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
- Sonny Fox: Forty Years in Television: A Conversation with Whoopi Goldberg
- She's Making News: Christiane Amanpour
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Planet of Giants
- An Evening with Craig Ferguson
- The Beatles Restored Magical Mystery Tour
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: The Tomb of the Cybermen
- Denis Leary's Merry F#%$in' Christmas
- Oddly Familiar: A Ben Stiller Show Reunion
- Screening and Conversation with Polly Bergen
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: The Claws of Axos
- Re-Seeing the Century: The Expedition on Film
- TEDxWomen 2012 Live Stream in New York for Paley Members Only
- Voices from Latin America
- The Gershwins and Me: A Conversation with Michael Feinstein
- Witnessing Human Rights: Past, Present, and Future
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: A Double Dose of the 11th Doctor!