A Better Life
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Chris Weitz, Director, A Better Life
Pablo Alvarado, Executive Director, National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON)
Irwin Sanchez, Member, Hispanic Resource Center of Larchmont and Mamaroneck
Moderator: Maria Hinojosa, Host, NPR’s Latino USA; President, The Futuro Media Group
Reception at 5:30 pm
Screening at 6:30 pm
In America today, there are an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants. A Better Life takes on the controversial subject of immigration by telling a poignant, multigenerational story that captures the struggle of many immigrants to live a life of dignity and purpose. Starring Academy Award–nominated actor Demián Bichir (Weeds, Ché) as an immigrant day laborer and single father caring for his American-born teenage son, this film illuminates love and the lengths a parent will go to in order to give his child the opportunities he never had. Globe and Mail applauds Bichir’s “powerful, nuanced performance as a stoic but complex character who treats everyone—even those who have wronged him—with a dignity he rarely receives.” Director Chris Weitz has created a powerful and ultimately uplifting film that looks at the heroic struggle of immigrants in their quest for the American dream. After the screening, the director will talk with other panelists about how he came to make this film, the challenges he faced, and the power of film to change perceptions.
In partnership with the Ford Foundation and the National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON).
Screening is free, but RSVP required to attend. RSVP below.
Other Events in the Series
- Hey, Hey, Hey … It’s Bill Cosby
- Project Runway All Stars
- IFC’s Portlandia: A Conversation with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
- Remembering Master Storyteller, Jean Shepherd: With Jerry Seinfeld
- Oscar Hammerstein II—Out of My Dreams
- Cougar Town Viewing Party
- Justice League: Doom
- Meet the Filmmakers Nominated for the Academy Award, Documentary Short
- Who Do You Think You Are?
- DocuDay New York 2012
- Academy Awards Viewing Party Featuring Live Commentary by A.O. Scott & David Carr of The New York Times
- PaleyFest Community Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Greendale Pep Rally from New York Comic Con
- PaleyFest Castle Viewing Party: Panel Live from Los Angeles with a Scavenger Hunt and Trivia from New York Comic Con
- Mad Men Season Premiere Viewing Party
- Twentieth Anniversary of The Big Show: Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick Together Again
- Doctor Who: How It All Began—An Evening with Waris Hussein
- NYC 22, New Prime-Time Drama
- A Cavalcade of Coward
- An Evening with Estela Bravo: Filmmaker of Fidel: The Untold Story and Anecdotes about Fidel
- American Masters: Johnny Carson: King of Late Night
- 2012 Tony Awards Film Series
- She's Making News: Katie Couric
- Madame Butterfly: Screening and Conversation
- Mind Over Media: Are You More Powerful than Propaganda?
- She's Making News: Gayle King
- She's Making News: Maria Bartiromo
- An Evening With Christopher Plummer
- Alan Alda’s Burning Question: What Is a Flame?
- Jersey Shore Shark Attack: A Paley Center & Syfy Viewing Party
- She's Making News: Paula Zahn
- Spider-Man Week NYC: Peter Parker at the Paley Center
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Resurrection of the Daleks
- She's Making News: Soledad O’Brien
- Musicals on Television: An Afternoon with Sheldon Harnick
- Digitally Remastered Classic Doctor Who Screenings: Death to the Daleks
- Goodyear Television Playhouse: The Trip to Bountiful
- From Homicide to Copper: Levinson/Fontana in Conversation
- Studio One: The Traveling Lady
- Playhouse 90: Old Man
- American Playhouse: Story of a Marriage, Part 1: “Courtship"