SOUTH BANK SHOW, THE: DAVID MAMET (TV)
One in this weekly arts series. This episode profiles David Mamet, one of America's leading contemporary playwrights, who discusses his background, writing techniques, and views of America. Topics include his childhood years in Chicago; his use of American street talk to create stage characters; his observations on the decline of American culture, the institution of marriage, and the economy; and his fear of President Reagan's support of the "unification of church and state." Interspersed with the interviews and comments are excerpts from his plays, "American Buffalo," "Edmond," and the Pulitzer Prize-winning "Glengarry, Glen Ross." Bill Bryden, associate director of the National Theatre, discusses the various rhythms of language in Mamet's plays; and Jack Shepherd, a member of the original cast for the London premiere of "Glengarry, Glen Ross," talks about the powerful syncopation of Mamet's dialogue.
- NETWORK: London Weekend Television (United Kingdom)
- DATE: March 24, 1985 Sunday
- RUNNING TIME: 0:52:18
- COLOR/B&W: Color
- CATALOG ID: T88:0396
- GENRE: Arts documentaries
- SUBJECT HEADING: International Collection - United Kingdom
- SERIES RUN: London Weekend TV (United Kingdom) - TV series, 1978-
- Alan Benson … Producer, Director
- Melvyn Bragg … Camera, Edited and presented by
- J. J. Johnston … Cast, Donny , In "American Buffalo"
- Mac Vittie, Bruce … Cast, Bobby, In "American Buffalo"
- Derek Newark … Cast, Levine, Shelly, In "Glengarry, Glen Ross"
- Karl Johnson … Cast, Williamson, John, In "Glengarry, Glen Ross"
- Trevor Ray … Cast, Moss, Dave, In "Glengarry, Glen Ross", Man, The, In "Edmond"
- James Grant … Cast, Aaronow, George, In "Glengarry, Glen Ross"
- Jack Shepherd … Cast, Roma, Richard, In "Glengarry, Glen Ross"
- John Tams … Cast, Baylen , In "Glengarry, Glen Ross"
- Kevin McNally … Cast, Edmond, In "Edmond"
- Robert Oates … Cast, Barman, The, In "Edmond"
- David Mamet
- Bill Bryden