CBS NEWS SPECIAL REPORT: CHRISTMAS IN APPALACHIA (TV)
This special report focuses on the one million permanently poor people of Appalachia. Highlights of this program include a visit to the one-room Pert Creek schoolhouse in Kentucky on the day of the school Christmas program; a man recalling past Christmases; footage of the government surplus distribution center; a discussion with a man about his children's lack of education; a discussion with a general store owner about automation and its effects on the lives of coal miners; an ex-miner discussing the government vocational school he hopes to attend; a look at the now-deserted business section of Beaver Creek Town in Weeksberry, Kentucky; and concluding comments by Charles Kuralt.
Cataloging of this program was made possible by the CBS Foundation, 1998.
- NETWORK: CBS
- DATE: December 21, 1964 Monday 10:00 PM
- RUNNING TIME: 0:28:37
- COLOR/B&W: B&W
- CATALOG ID: T81:0213
- GENRE: Public affairs/Documentaries
- SUBJECT HEADING: Appalachia
- SERIES RUN: CBS - TV, 1964
- Leslie Midgley … Executive Producer
- Bernard Bienbaum … Producer
- Walter Lister … Associate Producer
- Joe Gorsuch … Director
- Charles Kuralt … Reporter