BEHIND THE SCENES WITH MAX ROACH (TV)
One in this series of educational programs focusing on the visual and performing arts. Hosted by unorthodox magicians Penn & Teller, each episode features a guest artist. In this episode, legendary jazz drummer Max Roach helps Penn & Teller to explain what rhythm is and how it is incorporated into music and dance. The program opens with examples of the rhythms present in daily life, including those in a group of girls playing double Dutch, a typewriter, a train on the railroad tracks, a factory assembly line, and a washing machine. Next, a musician plays "Mary Had a Little Lamb" in five rhythmic styles--march, waltz, dance, jazz, and classical--while several children interpret the music through dance. In between segments, a short animation piece illustrates rhythm, and MC Lyte performs "When in Love," showing how rhythm turns speech into rap music. Next, with the help of a young friend, Penn & Teller demonstrate different patterns of beats through a juggling act; then the patterns of beats are echoed in a marching band, a waltz class, and a salsa concert. The Blue Man Group also performs a comical sketch in which its members eat cereal to different beats. Finally, Max Roach discusses the traditions and use of the drum set, and, with four young helpers and the Uptown String Quartet, Roach performs several traditional American rhythms including the Charleston, the shuffle, and the swing beat. Cataloging of this program was made possible by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, 1999.
- NETWORK: PBS
- DATE: October 18, 1992 Sunday 7:30 PM
- RUNNING TIME: 0:27:57
- COLOR/B&W: Color
- CATALOG ID: T:32488
- GENRE: Children's
- SUBJECT HEADING: Children's programs
- SERIES RUN: PBS - TV series, 1992
- Jane Garmey … Executive Producer
- Alice Trillin … Executive Producer
- Ellen Hovde … Producer
- Muffie Meyer … Producer
- Amy J. Kaufman … Co-Producer
- Beth Strauss … Associate Producer
- Vivian Guardino … Associate Producer
- Ed Smith … Director , For "Furry Creature"
- Ed Koren … Animation, For "Furry Creature"
- Fred Garbers … Animation, For "Haunted Rhythm"
- Peter Phillips … Animation, For "Rhythm Diagrams"
- Pannonia Film … Animation, For "Finger Wave"
- Elliot Goldenthal … Music (Misc. credits), Series Logo music by
- Penn Jillette … Writer, Host
- Teller … Writer, Host
- Uptown String Quartet, The … Music Group
- Walla Walla Marching Band, The … Music Group
- Eddie Torres Dance Show Orchestra, The … Orchestra, Dance Company
- Kips Bay Touring Dance Company, The … Dance Company
- Walter Schalk School of Dance, The … Dance Company
- Max Roach … Instrumentalist, Percussionist, Guest
- Eileen Folson … Instrumentalist, The Uptown String Quartet
- Diane Monroe … Instrumentalist, The Uptown String Quartet
- Maxine Roach … Instrumentalist, The Uptown String Quartet
- Lisa Terry … Instrumentalist, The Uptown String Quartet
- MC Lyte … Performer, "When in Love"
- K-Rock … Performer, "When in Love"
- Master Tee … Performer, "When in Love"
- Legg 1 … Performer, "When in Love"
- Legg 2 … Performer, "When in Love"
- Phil Stanton … Performer, The Blue Man Group
- Chris Wink … Performer, The Blue Man Group
- Matt Goldman … Performer, The Blue Man Group