LUCY IN LONDON (TV)
A special program based on the comedy series starring Lucille Ball as Lucy Carmichael.
In this program, Lucy, having won a jingle contest, gets to visit London, England, for one day, with a special tour of the city from Royal Luxury Tours Limited. In a motorcycle and sidecar, tour guide Anthony "Tony" Fitz-Faversham drives her around town. After singing "On a Wonderful Day Like Today" while passing London landmarks, Tony stops at the "heart of London" -- the banks of the Thames. Lucy and Tony go "punting" on the river before they are unceremoniously interrupted by a crew race.
For the next stop, the two visit Kings Road, Chelsea, one of the fashion centers for London "mods." Lucy tries on numerous mod fashions during a montage as Phil Spector is heard singing "Lucy in London." Next, Tony takes Lucy to Madame Tussaud's Waxworks where she enjoys the numerous sculptures depicting historical figures before embarking into the museum's "Chamber of Horrors." From there, Tony takes Lucy to Great Fosters -- an old English country home of the Tudor period -- where she encounters an unusual Shakespearean "gardener" who invites her to be Kate to his Petruchio in his troupe's performance of "The Taming of the Shrew."
After finding herself in a bit of a mess, Lucy escapes to take a stroll with Tony as they sing "Pop Goes the Weasel." The Dave Clark Five simultaneously performs "London Bridge is Falling Down." Next, Lucy and Tony stop by the London Palladium before heading onto the Scala Theatre where Tony performs a special medley for her, including "One Day in London," "This Dream," "Gonna Build a Mountain," "Once in a Lifetime," and "Look at That Face." Afterward, Lucy performs a mime routine on stage, then reprises "One Day in London."
The program ends with Lucy thanking Tony for the best time of her life as they drive through London at night.
- NETWORK: CBS
- DATE: October 24, 1966 Monday 8:30 PM
- RUNNING TIME: 0:53:02
- COLOR/B&W: Color
- CATALOG ID: T:50898
- GENRE: Comedy
- SUBJECT HEADING: Comedy
- SERIES RUN: CBS - TV, 1966
- COMMERCIALS: TV - Commercials - Monsanto fibers^TV - Commercials - Cumuloft Nylon carpets^TV - Commercials - Acrilan Acrylic carpets^TV - Promos - "The Lucy Show"^TV - Promos - "The Andy Griffith Show"
- Lucille Ball … Executive Producer
- Steve Binder … Producer, Director
- David Winters … Co-Producer
- John Bryce … Associate Producer
- Pat McCormick … Writer
- Ron Friedman … Writer
- Irwin Kostal … Music by
- Phil Spector … Music by
- The Dave Clark Five … Cast, Themselves, Performers
- Lucille Ball … Cast, Lucy Carmichael
- Anthony Newley … Cast, Anthony "Tony" Fitz-Faversham
- Wilfrid Hyde-White … Cast, Madame Tussaud's Guide
- James Robertson Justice … Cast, Museum Director
- Peter Wyngarde … Cast, Petruchio
- John Stone … Cast, Customs Officer
- Frank Thornton … Cast, Passport Officer
- Edna Morris … Cast, Dresser
- Joby Blanshard … Cast, Cook
- Jenny Counsell … Cast, First Servant Girl
- Jennie Paul … Cast, Second Servant Girl
- Dennis Gilmore … Cast, Teenager-Pop