HAPPY DAYS: THE BEST MAN (TV)
One in the series of comedies about life in the 1950s.
In this episode, Howard brings home Fred Washington, a soon-to-be married army buddy who'll stay with them until his wedding. Marion is taken by surprise as she didn't know that Fred was an African-American. At dinner, Howard and Joanie act nervous and even Fred admits it is a little strange. Then, Howard and Fred look at an old scrapbook before Fred asks Howard to be his best man.
Fred informs the Cunninghams that they may be the only white couple at the wedding. Next, neighbor Mrs. Finley comes by to borrow the phone and is stunned to see Fred in the kitchen. Mrs. Finley is nervous about Fred being in the neighborhood and he jokes that he may buy a home there. At bedtime, Howard accuses Marion of bigotry and she admits that she may be prejudiced.
The next day, Fred and Howard meet with his future father-in-law to discuss the wedding. Mr. Davis claims that it is inappropriate for Howard to be the best man. Fred has it out with his Mr. Davis, claiming he will have the wedding his way. Later, with no other options, Marion offers to hold the wedding in the Cunningham house. Everyone wonders if this is a wise idea. Then, Officer Kincaid brings Fred to the house after finding him in the neighborhood, not believing that he's staying with Howard.
The following morning, Richie and Fonz help set up for the wedding, with Fonzie noting that "being cool" is more important than skin color. During the wedding, Fred sprints from the altar, angering Mr. Davis and bride-to-be Carol. As Richie, Joanie, and Marion provide some lame entertainment, Howard goes outside to talk some sense into Fred. Fred admits that he's afraid of bringing children into such a prejudiced world.
Finally, Howard makes Fred realize that he wants to get married, and must work to change the world. After Fred apologizes to Carol, the wedding goes off without any more hitches. Howard and Marion then reflect on their own wedding night. Includes commercials.
- NETWORK: ABC
- DATE: April 23, 1974 Tuesday 8:00 PM
- RUNNING TIME: 0:28:36
- COLOR/B&W: Color
- CATALOG ID: T:13194
- GENRE: Comedy
- SUBJECT HEADING: Comedy
- SERIES RUN: ABC - TV series, 1974-1984
- COMMERCIALS: TV - Commercials - Sears stores^TV - Commercials - Wesson vegetable oil^TV - Commercials - Toyota automobiles^TV - Commercials - Pepto-Bismol digestive aids
- Thomas L. Miller … Executive Producer
- Edward K. Milkis … Executive Producer
- Garry K. Marshall … Executive Producer, Created by
- William S. Bickley … Producer
- Claude Binyon … Associate Producer
- Jerry Paris … Director
- Joel Kane … Writer
- Pete King … Music by
- Charles Fox … Theme Music by
- Norman Gimbel … Theme Music by
- Ron Howard (See also: Ronny Howard) … Cast, Richie Cunningham
- Marion Ross … Cast, Marion Cunningham
- Anson Williams … Cast, Potsie Weber
- Tom Bosley … Cast, Howard Cunningham
- Henry Winkler … Cast, Arthur "Fonz" Fonzarelli
- Donny Most … Cast, Ralph
- Do Qui, Robert … Cast, Fred Washington
- Bill Henderson … Cast, Mr. Davis
- Erin Moran … Cast, Joanie Cunningham
- Gail Bryant Cameron … Cast, Carol Davis
- Amzie Strickland … Cast, Mrs. Finley
- Wonderful Smith … Cast, Reverend
- Edward Marshall … Cast, Officer Kincaid