RHODA: THE PARTY (TV)
One in this series of comedies about Rhoda Morgenstern, a strong-willed woman trying to cope with the problems of career, romance, and family in Manhattan in the 1970s.
In this episode, Joe and Rhoda prepare to throw a party for their friends, though Joe is annoyed when Rhoda mentions that she intends to serve pizza, feeling that the "fancy" Marian would have gone for something more elegant. Susie soon calls to say that she has a scheduling conflict, though Rhoda begs her to at least stop by. When she visits Brenda in search of a dessert, she learns that Brenda is bringing the annoying Nick along as her date. Later, the party gets off to an unexciting start; Susie and Arthur arrive after all, at which point Nick happily pulls out his accordion. Rhoda tries to stop him, protesting that the instrument is too "dressy" for the casual get-together.
The men soon begin discussing their varying careers, with Arthur explaining that he is a psychiatrist specializing in marriage counseling. The conversation turns awkward as Denise dismisses the practice as "a rip-off" and Rhoda admits that she has always avoided shrinks. Arthur decides to change their minds and conducts an exercise, instructing the couples to engage in non-verbal communication with one another. Rhoda is impressed by Joe's passion, though Nick finds that he is uninterested in Brenda, much to her embarrassment.
Arthur prompts Alice to talk to her ex-husband Eddie, represented by an empty chair, and though she is relieved to finally find closure, the arriving pizza man is baffled by the "conversation." Arthur is elated by his success, but Susie then informs him that she, too, is unhappy, feeling overly pressured by motherhood and wanting some occasional time for herself. The others attempt to offer suggestions for her. Rhoda, determined to solve the problem, promises to call her in the morning with a great idea. She then asks Nick to bring out his accordion, preferring even that to all the challenging talk about relationships. Commercials deleted.
- NETWORK: CBS
- DATE: October 6, 1975 8:00 PM
- RUNNING TIME: 0:24:43
- COLOR/B&W: Color
- CATALOG ID: B:65510
- GENRE: Comedy
- SUBJECT HEADING: African-American Collection - Comedy
- SERIES RUN: CBS - TV series, 1974-1978
- James L. Brooks … Executive Producer, Created by
- Allan Burns … Executive Producer, Created by
- David Davis … Producer, Developed by
- Lorenzo Music … Producer, Developed by
- Charlotte Brown … Producer, Writer
- Karen Ziff … Associate Producer
- Robert Moore … Writer
- Billy Goldenberg … Music by
- Valerie Harper … Cast, Rhoda Gerard
- David Groh … Cast, Joe Gerard
- Julie Kavner … Cast, Brenda Morgenstern
- Candy Azzara … Cast, Alice Barth
- Richard Masur … Cast, Nick Lobo
- Scoey Mitchell … Cast, Justin Culp
- Denise Nicholas … Cast, Denise Culp
- Stuart Margolin … Cast, Dr. Arthur Alborn
- Beverly Sanders … Cast, Susan Alborn
- Paul Lichtman … Cast, Pizza Man
- L. Music … Cast, Carlton the Doorman (voice)