CAMPBELL PLAYHOUSE: THE BAD MAN (RADIO)
One in this weekly drama series featuring adaptations of popular and literary classics. Orson Welles opens the program by talking about the play's hero, Pancho Lopez, based on Mexican bandit and revolutionary Pancho Villa.
This lighthearted western takes place in one day at the Texas ranch of Gilbert Phebbs, where Lucia and Morgan Pell are honeymooning. Morgan plans to foreclose on the ranch if Gilbert does not pay his mortgage by 8 pm. He also threatens Lucia because she is still in love with Gilbert, her former fiance. However, Morgan's villainous plans are interrupted by the arrival of Gilbert's friend, the infamous and eccentric Mexican bank robber Pancho Lopez.
After the program, Welles and Lupino discuss her family's theater heritage and her acting career. Includes commercials.
- NETWORK: CBS
- DATE: May 19, 1939 Friday 9:00 PM
- RUNNING TIME: 1:00:00
- CATALOG ID: R88:0091
- GENRE: Radio - Drama, western
- SUBJECT HEADING: Drama, western
- SERIES RUN: CBS - Radio series, 1938-1940
- COMMERCIALS: Radio - Commercials - Campbell's soup
- Orson Welles … Producer, Director, Host
- Porter Emerson Browne … Writer, Based on the play by
- Bernard Herrmann … Composer, Conductor
- Ernest Chappell … Announcer
- Orson Welles … Cast, Pancho Lopez
- Ida Lupino … Cast, Lucia Pell
- Frank Readick … Cast, Gilbert Phebbs
- Ray Collins … Cast, Uncle Phipps
- William Alland … Cast, Morgan Pell
- Diana Stevens … Cast, Dot
- Everett Sloane … Cast, Louie
- Edward Jerome … Cast, Pedro