IC2012 Madrid Agenda
News at the Speed of Life: A Global Conversation on the Reinvention of Journalism
Conveners: Frank A. Bennack, Jr., Hearst Corporation; Juan Luis Cebrian, Grupo PRISA
Participants include: Richard Gingras, Head, News Products, Google; Vadim Lavrusik, Journalist Program Manager, Facebook; Wadah Khanfar, Chairman, Sharq Forum; Javier Moreno, Editor in Chief, El Pais; John Paton, Chief Executive Officer, Digital First Media; Andrew Rashbass, Chief Executive Officer, The Economist Group; Aroon Purie, Chairman and Editor in Chief, The India Today Group; and Andreas Wiele, President, BILD Group and Magazines.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
- 9:00pm - Welcome Reception: Join fellow International Council delegates for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres at the Hotel Ritz Madrid in the Alfonso XIII Salon.
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Registration: 8:30 am, Sessions: 9:15am–5:00 pm
Events will be streamed from approximately 9:15am-5:00 pm CET.
- 9:15-9:45am - Greeting and Introduction by Jaume Giró, Executive Director, La Caixa, Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO, Grupo PRISA and Frank A. Bennack, Jr., Vice Chair and CEO, Hearst Corporation; and Chairman, The Paley Center for Media
- 9:45-10:30am - News at the Speed of Life: Lessons Learned from a Watershed Year in Journalism: From WikiLeaks to the Arab Spring and beyond, how will the signal news events of the past year illuminate the way forward for the news industry?
- Helen Boaden, Director, BBC News
- Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO, Grupo PRISA
- Richard Gingras, Head of News Products, Google
- Wadah Khanfar, Chairman, Sharq Forum
- Katharine Viner, Deputy Editor, The Guardian
- Moderated by Pat Mitchell, President and CEO, The Paley Center for Media
Part 1: Engaging the News Consumer 3.0 - As new technology and social media transform the way people consume news, how can news organizations reach and retain an audience? Moderated by Andrew Heyward, Senior Advisor, The Paley Center for Media.
10:30-10:40am - Presentation by Vadim Lavrusik, Journalism Manager, Facebook
10:40-11:20am - Discussion
11:20-11:40am - Break
Part 2: Technology and the Democratization of News - How can news organizations leverage the digital efficiencies and access to information that have fueled the rise of citizen journalism? Moderated by John Paton, CEO, Digital First Media.
11:50-12:00pm - Presentation by Brandon Rosage, Designer, Ushahidi
12:00-12:50pm - Discussion
1:00-2:30pm - Working Lunch
Part 3: Back in the Black: How to Sustain High-Quality Journalism - A discussion of business models for preserving original reporting and accountability journalism in the new news ecosystem. Moderated by Kamal Bherwani, Chief Digital Officer, Grupo PRISA.
2:40-3:00pm - Presentation by Andrew Rashbass, CEO, The Economist Group
3:00-3:50pm - Discussion
3:50-4:00pm - Presentation by Shafqat Islam, CEO, NewsCred
4:00-4:50pm - Discussion
4:50-5:00pm - Summary and Final Comments
7:45-9:00pm - Private Tour of the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía
9:00-11:00pm - Dinner and Welcome by vice president and minister of the presidency, Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría, at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía.